أهلا وسهلا بك زائرنا الكريم, أنت لم تقم بتسجيل الدخول بعد! يشرفنا أن تقوم بالدخول أو التسجيل إذا رغبت بالمشاركة في المنتدى

انضم إلى المنتدى ، فالأمر سريع وسهل

أهلا وسهلا بك زائرنا الكريم, أنت لم تقم بتسجيل الدخول بعد! يشرفنا أن تقوم بالدخول أو التسجيل إذا رغبت بالمشاركة في المنتدى

هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

دخول

لقد نسيت كلمة السر

المواضيع الأخيرة

» مبروك للرابحين
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالأحد مايو 08, 2011 5:27 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» مباراة الشعر--
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالثلاثاء مايو 03, 2011 8:15 pm من طرف هيثم فرج

» مباراة الشعر في اللغة العربية
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين مايو 02, 2011 4:11 am من طرف hanin

» urgent
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالخميس أبريل 28, 2011 5:55 pm من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» المطالبة بإلغاء التصويت عن مباراة إالقاء الشعر الحلقة الرابعة (أ)
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 6:03 pm من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الثالثة ( ب )
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 4:08 am من طرف hanin

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الرابعة ( أ )
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 12:56 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الثالثة ( أ )
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالأحد أبريل 24, 2011 12:40 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الرابعة ( ب )
What is English? I_icon_minitimeالأحد أبريل 24, 2011 12:38 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

قـــــا مـــوس

قاموس ترجمة ثنائي اللغة

Download Our Toolbar

toolbar powered by Irfan School Sawfar IT Dept.

تدفق ال RSS

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

What is English?

Fadi
    Fadi
    عرفاني
    عرفاني

ذكر عدد الرسائل عدد الرسائل : 6
    العمر : 29
    السٌّمعَة : 0
    نقاط : 11742
    تاريخ التسجيل : 22/04/2008

What is English? Empty What is English?

مُساهمة من طرف Fadi الثلاثاء مايو 13, 2008 5:04 pm

English is an Indo-European, West Germanic language originating in England, and is the first language for most people in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and the Anglophone Caribbean. It is used extensively as a second language and as an official language throughout the world, especially in Commonwealth countries and in many international organizations.
    Modern English is sometimes described as the first global lingua franca.[7][8] English is the dominant international language in communications, science, business, aviation, entertainment, radio and diplomacy.[9] The influence of the British Empire is the primary reason for the initial spread of the language far beyond the British Isles.[10] Since World War II, the growing economic and cultural influence of the United States has significantly accelerated the adoption of English.[8]
    A working knowledge of English is required in certain fields, professions, and occupations. As a result, over a billion people speak English at least at a basic level (see English language learning and teaching). English is one of six official languages of the United Nations.

Contents

[hide]

//

History

Main article: History of the English language
    What is English? 140px-Beowulf.firstpage
    Beowulf, an epic poem written in Old English between the 8th and the 11th century

English is an Anglo-Frisian language. Germanic-speaking peoples from northwest Germany (Saxons and Angles) and Jutland (Jutes) invaded what is now known as Eastern England around the fifth century AD. It is a matter of debate whether the Old English language spread by displacement of the original population, or the native Celts gradually adopted the language and culture of a new ruling class, or a combination of both of these processes (see Sub-Roman Britain).
    Whatever their origin, these Germanic dialects eventually coalesced to a degree (there remained geographical variation) and formed what is today called Old English. Old English loosely resembles some coastal dialects in what are now northwest Germany and the Netherlands (i.e., Frisia). Throughout the history of written Old English, it retained a synthetic structure closer to that of Proto-Indo-European, largely adopting West Saxon scribal conventions, while spoken Old English became increasingly analytic in nature, losing the more complex noun case system, relying more heavily on prepositions and fixed word order to convey meaning. This is evident in the Middle English period, when literature was to an increasing extent recorded with spoken dialectal variation intact, after written Old English lost its status as the literary language of the nobility. It has been postulated that English retains some traits from a Celtic substratum.[11] Later, it was influenced by the related North Germanic language Old Norse, spoken by the Vikings who settled mainly in the north and the east coast down to London, the area known as the Danelaw.
    The Norman conquest of England in 1066 greatly influenced the evolution of the language. For about 300 years after this, the Normans used Anglo-Norman, which was close to Old French, as the language of the court, law and administration. By the latter part of the fourteenth century, when English had replaced French as the language of law and government, Anglo-Norman borrowings had contributed roughly 10,000 words to English, of which 75% remain in use. These include many words pertaining to the legal and administrative fields, but also include common words for food, such as mutton, beef, and pork.[12][13][14] However, the animals associated with these foods (e.g. sheep, cow, and swine)[15][16][17] retained their Saxon names, possibly because as a herd animal they were tended by Saxon serfs, while as food, they were more likely to be consumed at a Norman table.[18] The Norman influence heavily influenced what is now referred to as Middle English. Later, during the English Renaissance, many words were borrowed directly from French, Latin (giving rise to a number of doublets) and Greek, leaving a parallel vocabulary that persists into modern times. By the seventeenth century there was a reaction in some circles against so-called inkhorn terms.
    During the fifteenth century, Middle English was transformed by the Great Vowel Shift, the spread of a prestigious South Eastern-based dialect in the court, administration and academic life, and the standardising effect of printing. Early Modern English can be traced back to around the Elizabethan period.

الوقت/التاريخ الآن هو الأحد مايو 19, 2024 3:20 pm