أهلا وسهلا بك زائرنا الكريم, أنت لم تقم بتسجيل الدخول بعد! يشرفنا أن تقوم بالدخول أو التسجيل إذا رغبت بالمشاركة في المنتدى

انضم إلى المنتدى ، فالأمر سريع وسهل

أهلا وسهلا بك زائرنا الكريم, أنت لم تقم بتسجيل الدخول بعد! يشرفنا أن تقوم بالدخول أو التسجيل إذا رغبت بالمشاركة في المنتدى

هل تريد التفاعل مع هذه المساهمة؟ كل ما عليك هو إنشاء حساب جديد ببضع خطوات أو تسجيل الدخول للمتابعة.

دخول

لقد نسيت كلمة السر

المواضيع الأخيرة

» مبروك للرابحين
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالأحد مايو 08, 2011 5:27 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» مباراة الشعر--
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالثلاثاء مايو 03, 2011 8:15 pm من طرف هيثم فرج

» مباراة الشعر في اللغة العربية
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين مايو 02, 2011 4:11 am من طرف hanin

» urgent
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالخميس أبريل 28, 2011 5:55 pm من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» المطالبة بإلغاء التصويت عن مباراة إالقاء الشعر الحلقة الرابعة (أ)
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 6:03 pm من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الثالثة ( ب )
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 4:08 am من طرف hanin

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الرابعة ( أ )
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالإثنين أبريل 25, 2011 12:56 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الثالثة ( أ )
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالأحد أبريل 24, 2011 12:40 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

» التصويت لمباراة القاء الشعر : الحلقة الرابعة ( ب )
What is Math ? I_icon_minitimeالأحد أبريل 24, 2011 12:38 am من طرف Samer Al Sayegh

قـــــا مـــوس

قاموس ترجمة ثنائي اللغة

Download Our Toolbar

toolbar powered by Irfan School Sawfar IT Dept.

تدفق ال RSS

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

What is Math ?

Fadi
    Fadi
    عرفاني
    عرفاني

ذكر عدد الرسائل عدد الرسائل : 6
    العمر : 29
    السٌّمعَة : 0
    نقاط : 11638
    تاريخ التسجيل : 22/04/2008

What is Math ? Empty What is Math ?

مُساهمة من طرف Fadi الثلاثاء مايو 13, 2008 4:55 pm

Mathematics (colloquially, maths or math) is the body of knowledge centered on such concepts as quantity, structure, space, and change, and also the academic discipline that studies them. Benjamin Peirce called it "the science that draws necessary conclusions".[2] Other practitioners of mathematics maintain that mathematics is the science of pattern, and that mathematicians seek out patterns whether found in numbers, space, science, computers, imaginary abstractions, or elsewhere.[3][4] Mathematicians explore such concepts, aiming to formulate new conjectures and establish their truth by rigorous deduction from appropriately chosen axioms and definitions.[5]
    Through the use of abstraction and logical reasoning, mathematics evolved from counting, calculation, measurement, and the systematic study of the shapes and motions of physical objects. Knowledge and use of basic mathematics have always been an inherent and integral part of individual and group life. Refinements of the basic ideas are visible in mathematical texts originating in the ancient Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Indian, Chinese, Greek and Islamic worlds. Rigorous arguments first appeared in Greek mathematics, most notably in Euclid's Elements. The development continued in fitful bursts until the Renaissance period of the 16th century, when mathematical innovations interacted with new scientific discoveries, leading to an acceleration in research that continues to the present day.[6]
    Today, mathematics is used throughout the world in many fields, including natural science, engineering, medicine, and the social sciences such as economics. Applied mathematics, the application of mathematics to such fields, inspires and makes use of new mathematical discoveries and sometimes leads to the development of entirely new disciplines. Mathematicians also engage in pure mathematics, or mathematics for its own sake, without having any application in mind, although applications for what began as pure mathematics are often discovered later.[7]

Contents

[hide]

//

Etymology

The word "mathematics" (Greek: μαθηματικά or mathēmatiká) comes from the Greek μάθημα (máthēma), which means learning, study, science, and additionally came to have the narrower and more technical meaning "mathematical study", even in Classical times. Its adjective is μαθηματικός (mathēmatikós), related to learning, or studious, which likewise further came to mean mathematical. In particular, μαθηματικὴ τέχνη (mathēmatikḗ tékhnē), in Latin ars mathematica, meant the mathematical art.
    The apparent plural form in English, like the French plural form les mathématiques (and the less commonly used singular derivative la mathématique), goes back to the Latin neuter plural mathematica (Cicero), based on the Greek plural τα μαθηματικά (ta mathēmatiká), used by Aristotle, and meaning roughly "all things mathematical".[8] In English, however, the noun mathematics takes singular verb forms. It is often shortened to math in English-speaking North America and maths elsewhere.

History

A quipu, a counting device used by the Inca.

Main article: History of mathematics

The evolution of mathematics might be seen as an ever-increasing series of abstractions, or alternatively an expansion of subject matter. The first abstraction was probably that of numbers. The realization that two apples and two oranges have something in common was a breakthrough in human thought. In addition to recognizing how to count physical objects, prehistoric peoples also recognized how to count abstract quantities, like timedays, seasons, years. Arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division), naturally followed.
    Further steps need writing or some other system for recording numbers such as tallies or the knotted strings called quipu used by the Inca empire to store numerical data. Numeral systems have been many and diverse, with the first known written numerals created by Egyptians in Middle Kingdom texts such as the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus.
    Mayan numerals

From the beginnings of recorded history, the major disciplines within mathematics arose out of the need to do calculations relating to taxation and commerce, to understand the relationships among numbers, to measure land, and to predict astronomical events. These needs can be roughly related to the broad subdivision of mathematics into the studies of quantity, structure, space, and change.
    Mathematics has since been greatly extended, and there has been a fruitful interaction between mathematics and science, to the benefit of both. Mathematical discoveries have been made throughout history and continue to be made today. According to Mikhail B. Sevryuk, in the January 2006 issue of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, "The number of papers and books included in the Mathematical Reviews database since 1940 (the first year of operation of MR) is now more than 1.9 million, and more than 75 thousand items are added to the database each year. The overwhelming majority of works in this ocean contain new mathematical theorems and their proofs."[9]

الوقت/التاريخ الآن هو الخميس مارس 28, 2024 10:44 pm